We’ve all probably moved at least once in our lives. It’s a bittersweet ordeal that is always stressful, but relieving when you’ve finally moved in the last box. To help, this blog will offer a moving checklist and some advice on things to do before, during and after you move.
- Get rid of things. This could be one of the most helpful things you can do. Go through all your old clothes and items, and consider donating to your local thrift store. The less you start with the less trouble you will have.
- Plan meals around what you have left. If you are moving far, it’s possible that your whole fridge will have to be thrown out. In the week before your move, check your fridge and try to use as much of it as you can. It will help not only you save money but also limit waste.
- Clean out your storage unit. This is it. This is what you’re dreading on your move. Three years ago, you threw a bunch of old stuff into your storage unit and now the time has come to empty it. Before you start moving, go ahead and empty the storage unit even if it causes some home clutter. It’s better to have everything in one place so you can keep track of and neatly organize it before your move.
- Use quality boxes and make sure you label. Organizing everything room by room will make the unpacking process much less stressful. When moving in, you will know where each box will go and can unpack room by room.
- Take inventory. While you’re using quality boxes and labelling, make a moving checklist. It may seem tedious, but you will know exactly where everything is and things won’t magically disappear during your move.
- Unpack room by room. With the labels you will be able to easily move boxes into each room, and unpack room by room. This will save a tremendous amount of time and work rather than having to dig through each box to see where it needs to go.
- Do an initial cleaning. When you’re out of your old house—before you have totally moved everything in—make a point to thoroughly clean areas that will be covered up. This is a great chance to clean where beds, cabinets and tables will go before they are covered up for years.
- Get utilities running. This may be something you do while moving to ensure that everything is ready when you get there. Make sure the water, air conditioning, heating and WiFi are set up so you’re ready once you move in.
- Update your voter registration. If you’re moving states and also registering your car, you can update your voter registration at the same time. After all this is an election year!
Here at Ample Storage we take pride in excellent customer service. Our wide selection of unit sizes and no contracts guarantees you will find something to fit your storage needs. A storage unit from Ample Storage will help you with all the necessary things to do before, during and after your move. Contact us today to get started!