RENO STORAGE UNIT TIPS
Check out the following self storage tips on packing and storing personal belongings such as books, furniture and dishes.
- Before placing them in your self storage unit, mark the contents of each storage box on every side.
- Do not overload your boxes. If one box seems to be too heavy, it probably is. Go ahead and divide the contents into two or more boxes before placing them in your self storage unit.
- Belongings such as books and magazines ought to be wrapped in plastic before being placed in your storage unit. This will keep them from experiencing unwanted moisture damage.
- Unboxed items should be wrapped with paper, plastic, cloth, etc, prior to being placed in your storage unit.
- With fragile items, use extra paper, wrapping it around each item many times. This extra care will ensure that your china, or and glasses will won't become cracked or damaged.
- Planning on keeping mattresses in your storage unit? Hardware stores have bags designed to keep mattresses safe and moisture free while in storage. Use them!
- If you need to keep furniture in your storage unit, it's a good idea to wax the wood with wood varnish. This will help to protect your furniture from moisture. If you need to take it apart, be sure to keep all of the nuts and bolts together in a bag, taped to the underside of the furniture.
- Keeping clothing in your self storage unit? Don't forget the mothballs!
- Use wooden pallets to keep you belongings off of the floor of your storage unit. Moisture can condense on concrete floors when it's cold outside.
- Keep an itemized list of all of the belongings you place inside your self storage unit, at home or in a safe deposit box.
- It's a good idea to pack electronics (TV's, stereo equipment, computers) in the original packaging. If you don't have the original box, be sure to wrap all electronic gear in paper or plastic bubble wrap, before placing it in your self storage unit.
- Do yourself (and us) a favor, and buy a decent lock.